July 9-10, Newberg, OR
Games Ceremonies on July 9, 2016 at 7 p.m.
The Pumper Car always welcomes new opportunities and we are thankful for Special Olympics Oregon! To learn more about them just keep reading!
The Special Olympics Oregon -Mission Statement-
Special Olympics Oregon serves children, youth and adults with intellectual disabilities- the largest disability population in the state - through year-round programs that provide participants the opportunity to develop physical fitness through sports training and competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports, receive regular health education and screenings, enjoy ongoing mentoring from trained volunteers, access family networking and advocacy resources, and increase their overall quality of life in school, at home and in their communities. Special Olympics participants demonstrate courage, experience joy and are able to participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship. Their positive spirit, determination to succeed and innate human decency makes them powerful ambassadors for greatness.
Special Olympics Oregon Facts & Figures:
· They serve the largest disability population in the state – those with intellectual disabilities
· Effects 1 in 5 Oregon families They
· provide programs across the state
· Year round we serve 13,000 participants with the help of 13,000 volunteers
· Our programs teach “training for life” to individuals living with intellectual disabilities through mentoring and the power of sport
· Provide fitness training, health and wellness education and passionate competition
· Athletes build confidence and find joy, acceptance & respect
· Changes lives: participants more likely to do better in school, hold a job, and live independently
· Events are held in every region of the state, every month of the year
· Participants are able to compete in 14 Olympic-style sports including: basketball, softball, volleyball, track & field, soccer, etc.
· During three sports seasons – winter, summer and fall
· Participants train for eight weeks then compete on a regional and state level
We are looking forward to another great year working with the awesome people at the Special Olympics Oregon!
Come join us as we support and cheer on 2,000 Athletes at Games Ceremonies. Hope to see YOU there!